Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Curieuse Island, Seychelles

Hello from the Ranger's Headquarters on Curieuse Island in the Seychelles. My job today was to create a spreadsheet to record rainfall here so I had access to a computer since I'm done. Thanks to a career of building spreadsheets and analyzing data.

A small group of volunteers comes to Curieuse every week. Others have been snorkeling and having a grand time, while I watch from the shore. I broke a pop bottle when restocking the frig last week and it exploded into my foot so I have 4 stitches and lots of memories of how I was carried to and from boats this week. We are on an island after all so much happens around the water.

We do all kinds of jobs here--computer work, planting mangrove seeds, painting signs to be posted around the island and fishing and coral monitoring. It's a nice place to be and the food is spectacular--creole barbeques each day. I'm off to one right now.

More after I visit LaDigue this weekend.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home