Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Seychelles--First Week

6:00 Wake up
6:15 Brekkie--porridge
7:00 Fish Workship
9:00 Emergency first aid
11:00 Lunch (yes, this early)
13:30 Workshop or ground/tank/boat duty--unless on kitchen duty for day
15:00 Kit up (that means prepare for dive)
15:30 Dive
16:30 Dinner
19:30 Briefing for next day
20:30 Could be another workshop, or study time
22:00 or whenever, go to bed

That's a typical day at Cap Ternay on the western coast of Mahe in the Seychelles. I've been here a week so far, with four weeks to go. So far I've started working on my advanced open water diver certification, passed my Emergency First Responder course and have been studying fish for an upcoming exam. With all that, I've had little time to wander around the island, though that's not very easy because we're a 45-minute bus ride to get to the town of Victoria. We came into town for the first time today (Saturday) only to find all the shops are closed. They're also closed on Sunday, the day I arrived. Luckily the internet is open so guess where we all are!

"We" refers to about 16 volunteers and 8 staff. There are a few Americans as volunteers and staff, many from Great Britian, one Australian, one Canadian, and one South African (too bad he's only 25). I just found out today Cheney shot a fellow hunter so that tells you I'm not getting much news. (Let me know if anything big happens cuz otherwise I might not find out.)

It is a small world. Tim, the head of the GVI operation here, apparently helped start up Pemba Afloat. That was the live aboard I enjoyed in Pemba, just off the coast of Tanzania. Oh, it was fun to recall the time I spent with Philip and Charlie on Karibou Sana along with my dive master friend Ginny. Now I'm trying to persuade Tim to charter a boat and take me up to Le Digue, the island Philip and Charlie said I just had to see. That's in the works!

The weather is very hot. High temps are the reason I'm here. Back in 1996 and again in 1998 the water temps rose to the point where the coral suffered. It's now coming back, but with animals (yes coral is part of the animial family) that grow at only a few centimeters a year, that takes a long time. I only wear my shortie when diving because it's so easy. Others dive in only a t-shirt and shorts. We all have tan lines from our booties. That looks really funny on all the English people here who are so pale.

After I finish all these tests, the work really begins. I'll be surveying fish underwater, and maybe even doing some research analysis when on land. We'll see if they want to use my skills in that way. Otherwise, I might finally get to my writing. Maybe I'll even start proofing things if/when I get the time.

Before I end, I must tell you that I spend a wonderful four days with my new South African friends, Pj and Veronique. We met on the road to Kililmanjaro. What a delightful couple. They live on an alpaca farm, living their dreams and values, giving me much to ponder.

For now, let me wish you Happy Easter, Happy Spring. I'm going to sign off now so a fellow volunteer can use the Internet.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home