Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Wednesday, March 15, 2006

West Coast of Africa

Cape Town was great, for the 2 days I was there. Now I'm heading up the west coast of South Africa up to Namibia. Right now I'm in Springbok, so named for the national animal of South Africa, but of course there are no wild ones here anymore. It's just a quick stop to get groceries and last minute things before heading off to the wild with no access to the internet or much else but wildlife, canoeing, hiking, etc.

I'm on a 20-day overland, participatory tour which means I'm camping again and helping with meals, setup, teardown, etc. We had porters to do this on Kili, but life is easier here. There are only five of us on the trip--2 New Zealanders, 1 German and 2 Americans. We have 2 guides, both South Africans. They only speak 2 languages, but I won't hold that against them, especially since I still only speak one.

It's been fun getting to know each other. A great group of people. That's good since we'll be together for a while.

Off to buy groceries and another country. . .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home