Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Kilimanjaro

The Summit

Yes, I summited and am very proud of it. 19,300 feet. The physically hardest day of my life. Some have made an analogy to child birth, and while I can't make that same comparison, it was hard. The top looked so far away (a 5,000 foot climb starting at midnight) and didn't seem to come any closer. Having to think of going down 8,000 feet I wondered where the energy would come from, then the sun rose. It made all the difference. This is an achievement.

There was a purpose I came to Kili, and I have served it--for me personally and for the group I'm traveling with. We all came together as a unified team from the US, South Africa, Taiwan, Sweden and Holland. It has been wonderful. Now off to enjoy a safari.

More from the Serengeti!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home