Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Rain in South Africa

I always know when it's time to leave--it starts raining. My friends in South Africa, Veronique and PJ are happy to see the rain. Though the dams are full, they would like to have rain for the fields which feed their alpaca. I'm staying at their place about 4 hours southeast of Johannesburg in a little place at Moori River. How fun to see these wonderful people again. We reminisced about the climb--why we did it and why we probably won't do it again, PJ motivating me as well as himself to get to the top, and how merciless such a climb is to our bodies. He does have this thing about falling in front of me though. He did it on our last day of the big climb, seriously spraining his ankle, and again when we went on a hike an hour or so from their home. He's proving we're not infallible.

We had a few quintessential days together, relaxing on the farm, me learning about all their plans to create yarn from the alpaca wool and gardens galore, me seeing the pictures throughout their home shedding light on the lives of these people I'd not met but a few months before, and am so glad our paths crossed in this lifetime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home