Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Thursday, December 29, 2022

New Zealand Charm



How kind to have a Trusted Housesitter host pick me up from the Auckland airport and then let me know I’ll still stay at her place over the Christmas holiday even though, as she said “there is a slight change in plans”—I won’t be taking care of her dog, Benji because he’s had some health issues. Tania’s beautiful place is right downtown, overlooking the bay filled with sailboats. I knew from emails she was a vibrant person, and she’s proving to be a fun-loving host. We walked a bit with Benji. She directed me to a place to get a Spark SIM card for my phone. She pointed out places to eat and shop, and is even open to me using her e-bike. I’m just flat out amazed at how kind she’s been, especially still letting me stay at her place. She even drove me to the hostel so I could meet up with my traveling companion Amy. 

Amy and I went out to dinner (which I promptly told Tania about, a place she’s not been, but now plans to go to after looking at the menu). We bedded down early for the night in preparation for a dawn departure to Queenstown for the start of our adventure. 

The first views of the South Island from the plane didn’t even prepare us for the spectacular sites we’d be seeing once our feet hit the ground. I never took pictures with Tania. Pictures of Auckland will follow when I spend more time there in December. 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home