Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

A Birthday in Bonaire


My sister thinks I've spent my birthday in more countries than she's visited, and that may be true. This year it was Bonaire, in the Netherlands Antilles. The governing body will change later this year, but the island will still maintain its devotion to environmentalism. I'm staying at Captain Don's Habitat. Captain Don is still alive, and though he looks like a one-legged pirate, he's done much for the conservation on Bonaire, and the world. He apparently was the force behind mooring buoys to save the reefs here, and that has extended to many other parts of the world. I've heard several lectures here, even from a Harvard professor, about ocean sustainability and how to better relate to sea creatures. Now I want to "pet" on octopus, and maybe an eel.

My fish sitings are getting even better. Yesterday alone, maybe because it was my birthday present from the sea, I saw a midnight parrotfish, an intermediate French Angelfish, a scorporionfish, some shrimp and a walking shelled crab. Guess I need to study up on those latter ones.

Shore dives are the mainstay here so I'm trying to get to as many as I can. Names might not be appropriate, like all those things I saw yesterday at a site called The Invisibles".

There's to be a full moon tomorrow night so the currents and tides are kicking in, so strong they wiped the stairs out from Captain Don's docks. They're attempting to reinstall them now so we can get back in the water shortly.

All's well near the deep blue sea.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home