Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Under the Sea, Under the Maoi on Easter Island

Such clear, pretty aquamarine waters. The visibility is only mired by the winds stirring up the seas. Easter Island is a spectacular place to dive, not necessarily for the fish, which I’ve come to know and love, but more for the coral. Coral, as hard as it is, suffers from exploration by scuba divers, as much as I hate to admit this, by anchors, by weather, global warming, etc. Easter Island’s surrounding reef hasn’t suffered from these things so is exquisite. The area abounds with many types of corals that even my untrained eye can appreciate. It is so healthy—no crowns of thorns, no destruction by anchors, no coral bleaching, and very minimal breaks by divers. The water is not Caribbean warm, so I wore a 5 ml wetsuit with a hood for a very comfortable dive. I could have dived every day, yet only got in four dives, missing the dive to Bird Island, so I guess I’ll just have to come back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home