Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Saturday, September 01, 2007

CRUISING IN CROATIA

After staying in the Twin Cities most of the summer (one excursion to Boston and a week long sail from New York City to Baltimore, and a week of racing on Lake Superior), I guess I could not wait until the Fall to travel again, so here I am in Croatia. I flew into London, transferred to Stansted Airport to take a cheap flight down to Zadar, then bussed it to Trogir. Trogir is a small town, part old, part new, given the rebuilding since the war, and attracting tourists in mass.

I met up with some friends, one of which scuba dives, so we did one dive, and Randy said he saw enough that he did not need to do another dive. Instead we lounged on a pebbly beach. We are spoilt by having the Caribbean so close. (As for the Caribbean, the town I lived in last Winter was dessinmated by Hurricane Dean. So sad to think of how hard everyone worked to build up that town.)

We have toured Trogir, including the wonderful bell tower, and are off to board our boat, which is half way between here and Split, then back here tomorrow night. I could go back to the restaurant we ate at last night. I had wonderfully grilled squid. MMMMmmmmm good!

Weather is warm, nice winds. This is at about the same latittude as MN, but has the seas to keep it more tempid.

Fair winds to you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home