Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Sunday, February 25, 2007

Bye Belize and Mexico

I said goodbye to Belize on Friday, went back to Mahahual Mexico on Saturday and then it's off to Key West tomorrow. Belize was lovely. I visited the zoo and went manatee watching, but alas, I have a reason to return. I did not see any. I did see a black tiger, close enough to pet, but there was a fence in the way. I ended up, I guess you could say, hitch hiking back to town and got a lead on real hand made Belizean style tile, very similar to what I had installed just before leaving on this most recent adventure. Maybe this could be my new line of work, knowing how difficult it is to get the Saltillo/terra cotta tiles in cold Minnesota.

I traveled up the middle of Belize to Lamani to see some historic Mayan ruins, some of the best in Belize. It reminded me so much of the trip my friend Rose and I took to Cambodia to see Ankor Wat. The shape and construction of the two ruins could have been built by the same people. I wonder what I'll think if/when I finally get to Egypt to see the pyramids. The riverboat ride from Orange Walk to Lamani and back made for a nice day amongst nature in a different way than being on the ocean, though the mangroves are such an integral part of each ecosystem.

It was sad to leave my new friends in Mahahual, but seeing my friend Leslie tomorrow eases that. Several of us have plans to meet again, maybe in Malta, maybe in Honduras, and maybe back in Mexico.

Life does have its rewards!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home