Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Monday, May 14, 2007

Malta and Gozo

Greetings from Gozo,

I've been to Malta for a day and returned to Gozo. Yes, that's how things worked out, and they worked out for the best. I love it here. Gozo is small, quaint, the people are ever so friendly and it is beautiful. We're staying in Marselforn Bay on the north side. I spent some time walking around this afternoon after our tour and found some salt pans farther to the west, and some majestic boulders that had dropped into the ocean. The ocean here is so clear here, even in the busy harbours. The fishing boats are so beautiful; I'll have to post pictures when I have the opportunity.

I did spent time diving here the first time, but elected not to this time because of the cold. The air temps are perfect for traveling. There hasn't been any rain here so things are browning out quickly. It was interesting when I thought how similar the landscape looks here compared to Ireland, though not as green, and then had an English woman who moved here after vacationing here for 30 years said the same thing. As I said, the people are very friendly here, so whenever I've needed directions, people are ever so willing to help and talk with you too.

There are so many churches here--about 400, so that's about one church for every 4,000 people, and apparently they do go to church. Services are every day, and multiple times a day, even during weekdays. The churches are so ornate, I've had a hard time with that. I much prefer doing the outdoors things like seeing the Calypso Cave today and going for a walk along the ocean cliffs.

The food here is tremendous. I've had the best salads in a long time--ripe tomatoes, delicious sun-dried tomatoes, olives, and fresh sheep's cheese. The desserts are delectable. So much for loosing weight on this trip.

More from Malta.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home