Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

From Nepal to Egypt

Even this travel schedule is too much even for me. I left Nepal on Saturday afternoon, arrived in Minneapolis on Sunday morning (remember the 12 hour time difference), and took off for Egypt on Tuesday. Who knows what time zone I'm on now, but I'm wide awake, maybe from sheer excitement.

The view from the plane when landing at Cairo is surprising, but not. This is clearly the dessert. Sandy and flat, flat, flat. The roads are wide like American roads, yet I still hear the honking of horms, though not at the same level as in Kathmandu, where the roads were barely wide enough for two cars.

I am now in Hurghada, awaiting a transfer to Port Galib, where I'll board the M/V Royal Evolution for two weeks of diving in the Red Sea from Egypt to Sudan. It's warm here, though I have a five mil wetsuit, not the one mil I usually wear. It will be an effort just to get this on and off, but I've been told the underwater life is spectacular. I can't wait to get into the water! More after the liveaboard.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home