Nautical Nomad

These are the journals of a modern-day nomad from St. Paul, Minnesota. Included are land and sea travels from Africa to the Mediterranean to Indonesia. I've volunteered--released baby turtles into the ocean, conducted fish research, and written a marketing plan for a non-profit. The recent forcus has been to immerse myself in the local culture.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

A Typical Day of Diving at Bunakan

Three boat dives today, 8am, 10am and 2pm. The sky was clear for all three dives. No rain! I'm trying my Asako camera but without a filter the pictures and video are awful. At least it's a way to remind me of what I've seen. I feel blessed that we have seen turtles every day. The varieties of anenome  fish are colorful and entertaining as they dive in and out of the anenomes. Their different personalities are obvious. Some aggressively protect their homes and charge right at divers, sometimes even nibbling at us to move on. My favorites are the tomato anenomes, and many times they are with another type of anenomes, kind of like mixed races living together in harmony. Evan, our dive guide, pointed out some almost translucent balls secreted inside stag horn coral that are cuttlefish eggs. Too bad I hadn't read about them sooner or I would have known to look more closely to see the baby cuttlefish inside the eggs. More obvious are the bright blue and yellow neon colors of the ribbon eels.

The diving is nice here, but I feel like a trash collector. We've been told, because it's the rainy season, the tray flows from the rivers into the ocean. There are streams of trash along side the boat as we move from one site to another. It floats below the surface, settling on the bottom. I've been stuffing my pockets every dive.

1 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I got great information from this blog.It is very informative
Thanks :)








Agen Poker
Poker Uang Asli

 

Post a Comment

<< Home